While listening to a writing podcast at the Christian Publishing Show I found myself captivated by a guest speaker. His insight on devotional writing was helpful for my journey as a new author. After the podcast, I bought his book 16 Ways to Create Devotional Writing to Renew the Spirit and Refresh the Soul by David Sluka. You might want to read it too! Here’s 3 reasons why I think you should read this book.
First, the book is easy to read. In just a few hours I had digested all the brilliant words.
Cover to cover, I found myself unable to put down the book. I kept pouring more cups of tea and turning the pages with anticipation. Each chapter title is an action plan for success.
Second, the book is a resource for devotional writers.
As a factfinder, I found the research material in this book to be a great writing resource. Included are charts, numbers, and project plans for a successful devotional book. If you are a passionate reader of devotionals like me, then you have traveled through 365 pages of several books! It is helpful to understand the structure behind these books- from the editor’s view!
Third, the author has expertise in devotional writing.
As I worked through the 16 short chapters, I saw the devotional pattern recommended by this author. He applies his methods into each chapter and his readers “learn by example.” Learn more about his experience at David Sluka’s LinkedIn Page. He is the Senior Acquisitions Editor at Chosen Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
David takes a different approach from other writing instructors, and encourages his us to write about the experience our reader is having. It’s not about YOU (see John 3:30).
From this great book I have learned the importance of connecting with your readers and leading them towards God. It’s a beautiful thing!
FAVORITE QUOTES FROM DAVID SLUKA
- “God is a planner, and He wants to help you plan as much as He wants to help you write.” David Sluka
- “In devotional writing, your priority is not only to communicate the message God has given to you, but also connect to your reader and help him or her connect to God.” David Sluka
- “Boundaries allow for creativity. No boundaries lead to chaos.” David Sluka
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I am not affiliated with this author or publisher.
After the tragic murder or Dr. Robert Lesslie’s family, I wanted to learn more about his legacy of faith. Reading Angels in the ER: Inspiring True Stories From an Emergency Room Doctor was a moving experience! Quickly I discovered, this is not a theology book. The storyline is devotional and autobiography. His writing will capture the heart of any reader.
Sharing his personal observations from the Emergency Room, Dr. Lesslie studies people and personalities. His world is examined through a scientific mind and a strong faith in God.
As an eyewitness of emergencies, Dr. Lesslie tells stories of wounded people and the people who love them.
Another observation from reading this book is one of transformation. The author shares his immaturity of skill and then pivots to a maturity in ER experiences.
Without spoiling the book, I will affirm Dr. Lesslie left behind some nuggets about drug addiction and crime. Anyone who reads crime stories will absolutely LOVE these nuggets. If you are looking for insight on his views about Heaven- you’ll find it here.
As a devotional writer, Dr. Robert Lesslie has a calming voice of authority. His emotional, physical, and spiritual strength appear over and over again in his stories. The word resilient often comes to mind.
As a reader of the book Angels in the ER, you find yourself looking over his shoulder and seeing what the doctor sees. The perspective is quite interesting from the other view of the ER bed!
I am most thankful Dr. Lesslie has left behind his living words. Once you read the book too, you will see a strong man of God and a legacy of faith!
FAVORITE QUOTES FROM DR. ROBERT LESSLIE’S BOOK
- “Twenty-five years in the ER have taught me a lot of things. I know without a doubt that life is fragile.” Dr. Robert Lesslie
- “We are all undressed in the ER, all of us. Our strengths and weaknesses are openly and sometimes uncomfortably exposed. This is true for patients and physicians alike.” Dr. Robert Lesslie
- “Ultimately, the ER is a place where the faith of each one of us will be tested. Our beliefs will be tempered and refined, or exposed and discarded as worthless. Here we can learn who we are and on what ground we stand. And sometimes, it is a place where our faith can be found.” Dr. Robert Lesslie
- “Every emergency department has had its share of VIP patients. We’ve had movie actors, professional football players, politicians, and professional wrestlers. Even famous biblical characters—I once took care of a man who claimed to be John the Baptist. They all get treated the same and are shown no favoritism, nor do they receive any special perks.” Dr. Robert Lesslie
For more information and resources, visit https://robertlesslie.com/
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I am not affiliated with this author or his estate.
New Morning Mercies: A Daily Gospel Devotional by Paul David Tripp is a devotional book that does not collect dust on your bookshelf. It’s a “pick-up-and-read” daily book with a power-packed message each day, for 365 days. I am amazed how spot-on these messages are. They’re not long to read but the words linger throughout the day. This devotional is similar to Oswald Chambers “My Utmost For His Highest” with convincing words- for both a new Christian and a mature Christian.
This book is different with the absence of the actual Scripture verse, perhaps intentionally, so the reader is not struggling with Bible translations. Instead of writing out the verse, the reader will use a Bible alongside the devotional and look up references.
I found it helpful to use an electronic Bible for this purpose. I’ve enjoyed New Morning Mercies: A Daily Gospel Devotional by Paul David Trippl so much, it’s one of my Favorite Devotional Books. Now I have a Kindle version so I can carry the devotional when I travel, a PDF version from my book review, and a hardcover to give as a gift. Yes- I do enjoy this book! Get your copy of New Morning Mercies when you click here.
365 Gospel-Centered Devotions for the Whole Year
Mornings can be tough. Sometimes, a hearty breakfast and strong cup of coffee just aren’t enough. Offering more than a rush of caffeine, best-selling author Paul David Tripp wants to energize you with the most potent encouragement imaginable: the gospel. Forget “behavior modification” or feel-good aphorisms. Tripp knows that what we really need is an encounter with the living God. Then we’ll be prepared to trust in God’s goodness, rely on his grace, and live for his glory each and every day.
Favorite Devotional Quotes From New Morning Mercies
- “I must always remember the grace I am given and extend that grace to the people in my life.” Paul David Tripp
- “In every situation, location, and relationship in our lives there is a war for control of our hearts.” Paul David Tripp
- “The grand delusion of every act of sin is that we can be disloyal to God and everything will work out in the end.” Paul David Tripp
For more information and resources, visit paultripp.org
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. As a NetGalley Reviewer, I received an advanced copy of this book for review. Since my review, I have purchased several copies of the devotional as gifts for family and friends.